Feb 15, 2011
LAKE MICHIGAN SHORE
ESCAPE THE CROWDS. DESERTED. LOCALS' FAVORITES.
Some of the best kept-secret public beaches on Lake Michigan in the State of Michigan.
1. Warren Dunes State Park, Sawyer
2. Oval Beach, Saugatack
3. Kirk Park, Grand Haven
4. Rosy Mound Natural Area & Beach, Grand Haven
5. Krause Beach, Muskegon: Only beach where the dogs are allowed
6. Duck Lake State Park, Muskegon
7. Silver Lake Sand Dunes
8. Ludington State Park Beach
* One of the best camp grounds in Michigan
9. Orchard Beach State Park, Manistee
10. Point Betsie Light House, Frankfort: A perfect spot to start a bondfire and watch the sunset.
11. South Bar Lake (Village Park), Empire
12. North Bar Lake, Empire: In the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Access via unpaved Bar Lake Road. Short hike over dunes, past North Bar Lake, to Lake Michigan shore.
13. Platte River : Where it flows into Lake Michigan
* A perfect spot for the little ones to play in or for anyone to go tubing on.
14. Sleeping Bear Dunes, Leelanau: If you dare to descend 400 ft steep sand dunes below, you'll most likely enjoy the beach all to yourself. The real trick is climbing back-up.
15. Fisherman's State Park, Charlevoix
* Bring your own food and drinking water.